Yosemite Valley

Yosemite Pano

Sunday, September 13, 2009

From the Beginning!

I've had a few addictions over the years, Cycling, Snowboarding, Motorcycles and Photography. My Learning years in Photography started shortly after I moved out to the "left" coast, from Ontario and was blown away with the natural surroundings of my new home of Whistler...

My Trusty Pentax P5 with its Mammoth 28-135mm lens was slogged up the trails, through the snow, down the glades and strapped to my motorcycle, however being a "ski bum" in Whistler the cost of both film and developing left me with a delema... beer or film. So the fuji 400, was often left on the store shelf, and the P5 got left behind on my adventures.

Then came the dreaded point and shoot years.... the ultra cool light weight digital point and click camera became the weapon of choice. I started to loose my joy for photography and was doubting that I had an "eye" for photography, mostly because of the crappy washed out photos my point and click camera provided!

This summer, I've been trying to take more photos of my life, and of my natural surroundings, and I hit the breaking point... I was ready to throw my digital point and shoot against a brick wall!!! I was ready to go buy an High end Cannon G10, or Panasonic LX3, in an attempt to get the kind of shots I want, but the more I researched and the more I talked to some friends who take the kind of shots I wanted to take, the more I was steered towards a full DSLR...

So I tried an experiment, I dusted off the old trusty P5 film camera, loaded it up and took it Mountain biking, it was like rediscovering an old friend! And the shots weren't too shabby either!
If I can do this with a manual focus film camera, surely a DSLR will fit in my pack!

A few Days later I was the proud new owner of a Pentax K-m DSLR with an 18-50mm lens!

This Blog is going to be my journey of learning the art of Digital Photography, and hopefully help others in their journey to become better photographers in the process!



No comments:

Post a Comment