Yosemite Valley

Yosemite Pano

Monday, September 14, 2009

How to Choose a new Camera

So I decided to get a new camera. I have a Pentax P5, I've had for over a decade, the only time its let me down is in really cold weather, and the batteries died! I have owned an Olympus film point and shoot, a pentax, a canon, and a kodak, Digital point and shoots, and clearly have no favorites there!

I was told about the site www.dpreview.com and thats where my research started. The amount of information on that site is kind of staggering, and if you're not up on your camera lingo can be a little confusing. Plus I'm the kind of guy that likes to compare reviews to make sure the camera I'm interested in is respected by other sites as well. Cameralabs.com has a series of videos on you tube, I found these great as they show the camera in operation and compare cameras using the same scenery. Asides from dedicated photography websites I am a member of a Mountain bike website, and a few other forums, so I asked around, what other members use and recommended. I got a lot of people pointing me in different directions, but if you look at the peoples photos, and go with the peoples opinions from the photos you like, chances are you're headed in the right direction!

Next Stop, the Pros! Go find your local professional photography retailer. Find the hardcore camera geek who knows it all inside and backwards and, try and absorb as much as you can! I had a lot of online sites suggest I go with Canon, or Nikon, because they are the BIG 2 DSLR brands. The Camera guys I spoke with, suggested that I stick with Pentax at my level since I already own 3 decent lenses that when attached to a new Digi-pentax will work great and be image stabilized!

So am I brand Loyal? Maybe.
Have I used my manual lenses on my auto-hypertech camera? YES
Was Pentax the right call for the future?
30+ years of used lenses that work plus many affordable new options, seems to indicate I'll be fine for years to come with this brand!

Next post, LBA Lens buying addiction...


2 comments:

  1. My dad has the pentax k10d and loves it. :) Can't wait to see more photos!

    Kate (Kerry's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm pretty stoked with the camera, as this blog may confirm!

    ReplyDelete